English language requirements

A student using the audio facilities in our Language Centre

Standard entry requirements

You'll be required to meet a minimum level of English language to study with us, detailed below.

Undergraduate bachelor degrees

Postgraduate Masters degrees
Research degrees
  • IELTS 6.5 or equivalent, unless a higher IELTS score is required for study at postgraduate research level in that subject area. Please note that from November 2014, English language requirement for research degree courses in the Faculty of Arts Law and Social Science will be IELTS 6.5 (with IELTS 6.5 or equivalent in writing).
If you'd like to check the required level of English for a research degree in a particular subject, please contact us.

Improving your English language

If you need to improve your level of English language to meet our entry requirements our Anglia Ruskin University Language Centre offer a number of English as a Foreign Language (EFL) courses, including Degree pre-sessional and English with Academic Skills courses.

If you'd like advice on which course would be best for you, please contact our EFL team on efl@anglia.ac.uk or speak to your Admissions Officer.

If you are using the TOEFL test as equivalent, please note that there are some changes to how TOEFL is accepted for Tier 4 visa applications. Please check the information below or alternatively, visit UKCISA website for more information.

Applying in the UK
From 1 July 2014 ETS test certificates are no longer acceptable as a SELT for people applying for Tier 4 (General) in the UK.

If you have already applied using an ETS test certificate, or if you choose to apply on or before 30 June 2014 using one, your application may be delayed while the Home Office makes further checks on your application. The Home Office has told us that they will write to you if your application is still pending more than eight weeks after your biometrics were taken.

Applying outside the UK
Whether you can use an ETS test certificate as a SELT will depend on the date you make your Tier 4 (General) application.

On or before 21 July 2014
All those applying for Tier 4 (General) outside the UK can use an ETS test certificate as a SELT.

From 22 July to 30 September 2014 inclusive
ETS test certificates are no longer acceptable as a SELT for most people applying for Tier 4 (General) outside the UK. You will need to use a test certificate from another acceptable SELT provider. There is one exception. You can still use an ETS test certificate if you are applying for Tier 4 (General) in order to study at a publicly-funded Higher Education Institution (HEI) on one of these courses:
  • a pre-sessional course lasting three months or less
  • a foundation degree
  • a foundation course
If you are not sure whether your course is one of these, or whether your sponsor is a publicly-funded HEI, contact them direct and ask before you make the Tier 4 (General) application.

On or after 1 October 2014
ETS certificates cannot be used as a SELT in any Tier 4 (General) application.

We would be delighted to offer our own ELPT to help you meet the conditions of your offer. This test is offered free of charge - please contact internationaladmissions@anglia.ac.uk for more information. Alternatively if you are taking a pre-sessional course, you must take an alternate SELT such as IELTS.

If you still have any queries or concerns about this please contact your agent or if you applied directly to us - our international admissions team. For EU applicants we will continue to accept TOEFL as evidence of language proficiency.
Bookmark this page with: