Visa and immigration advice

Anglia Ruskin University is a Highly Trusted Sponsor under Tier 4 of the UK's points-based immigration system. We can issue the necessary documentation to assist students in obtaining entry clearance to the UK.

For information on applying for a student visa from outside the UK, please view the video guide which was prepared by our International Student Advice Service Team.

If you would like further information about applying for a visa, you can either contact the British Embassy or High Commission in your home country, or visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Download our CAS T4 guidance

This guide will give you more details about the visa process and how you need to prepare for it. Some examples of what you can find in it:
  • basic application requirements
  • documents required
  • CAS information
  • credibility interviews
  • visa fees
  • working during your studies.
An image showing the file-type icon. CAS T4 Guidance (540 Kb)
Muhammad, one of our postgraduate students

If you're studying with Anglia Ruskin for longer than six months

As a non-EEA student, you will need a visa to study at Anglia Ruskin University. The Tier 4 (General) visa is the category for adult students who want to come to, or remain in, the UK for their post-16 education. In order to apply for your tier 4 student visa, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) which contains a unique 14 digit alpha-numeric reference number and the information we have sent to the UK Visas and Immigration regarding your study with us. As a University, we'll issue you with a 'CAS statement' which includes the CAS number and information that you will need to complete your visa application form.

The earliest you can apply for your tier 4 student visa is three months before the start of your course and, for most countries, the British Embassy Entry Clearance Officers will let you have the decision on your visa within three weeks of receiving your application. Check the guide processing times to find out how long it may take to get a visa in your country.

Your CAS will not be issued until you have met all the conditions of your offer, including paying your deposit and sending us a copy of the information page from your passport.

We will assess your Previous UK Study Form to ensure compliance with all Home Office requirements under Tier 4 student visa regulations. If it is found that you do not meet the requirements as set out by the Home Office we will not be able to issue you a CAS for your visa application. For this reason we strongly recommend that you complete this form at your earliest opportunity prior to paying your deposit.

If you have made you application to Anglia Ruskin University via one of our agents, or our partner institutions, they will support your visa application and will ask you to provide a number of documents to ensure you are ready to apply for your visa. They will then request your CAS from us. The documents they will need to see will be:
  • Original documents that you have used to obtain your offer including academic qualifications and evidence of English language proficiency.If you are using TOEFL test, please note that there are some changes to how TOEFL is accepted for Tier 4 visa applications. Visit our English language requirements page for more details.
  • A receipt for your deposit payment
  • Your passport and any previous UK visas
  • Evidence of your maintenance funds

If you have applied direct to the University you will need to submit these documents to International Admissions before your CAS is issued.

So that you're ready to make your visa application in good time to arrive at the start of your course, you should start preparing early.

This is especially important if you're from a country which requires you to obtain a certificate confirming you do not have infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) before making an immigration application to come to the UK. Details of how to obtain a TB certificate in your country can be found on the website. Please be aware that you will need to book an appointment and at busy times (such as between July to October) you may have to wait 10 days or more for an appointment.

You will also be required to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your remaining fees and a fixed amount towards your living costs, this is known as maintenance.

You must be able to show using original bank statements that the money has been held for at least 28 days (finishing on the date of the closing balance) and the end of that 28 days period cannot be more than one month before the date of the application. The bank statements must also be from a bank recognised by the UK Visas and Immigration. If the bank account is not a UK currency account, you must show that you have sufficient funds based on the prevailing exchange rate at the time of the application of your visa (not at the time the bank statement commenced). You cannot apply for your visa if you do not meet this requirement as your application will be refused. If you are in doubt please check with us, or with our agents, as non-compliance with this requirement even on a technicality will result in a refusal of your visa.

If you would like further information about applying for a visa, contact the British Embassy or High Commission in your home country, or visit the website.

If you're studying with Anglia Ruskin for six months or less

The 'Special visitor: Student visitor' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are 18 years or older, and want to enter:
  • For up to six months to study a short course; or
  • For up to 11 months to study an English language course; or
  • If you are coming to study on a single semester programme (such as Study Abroad) or are undertaking a 'dual award' programme where less than six months of the course is based in the UK.

If you are coming to Anglia Ruskin University to study an English language course lasting less than six months, but intend to then continue studying with us on a degree programme, the tier 4 visa route is more appropriate for you.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certification from The Foreign and Commonwealth Office

International applicants who are applying for postgraduate level courses in certain science or technology subjects (and who are not from either a European Economic Area country or Switzerland) will require ATAS clearance certification from The Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

At Anglia Ruskin University, this will mainly apply to students undertaking research or masters degrees in the faculties of Science & Technology and Health, Social Care & Education. If you require an ATAS certificate, we will inform you of this requirement in your offer letter and provide you with details to support your ATAS application. For more information about ATAS, including guidance on submitting an application please visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Bookmark this page with: